Wednesday, August 19, 2009

South African Fudge Recipe

It's been a while since I've posted a recipe, so when my mom made fudge the other day I decided it's time to share another good ol' South African treat. Wish I could say I actually made the fudge in the pic, but alas I can't. I did manage to eat all of it though!
Now for the non-South-Africans (or those not married to one) I need to explain a little about this fudge - it's not "fudge" like American fudge. It's a bit harder and sweeter thanks to the blissful yumminess of condensed milk. So good!
Anyway, here's my granny's recipe. It's an oldie, but goodie and reminds me of sitting on the kitchen counter in our beach house in Little Brak. Ahh good times!

Ingredients:
4 cups of sugar
1 can of condensed milk
2 ounces butter
2 tablespoons golden syrup
Pinch of salt
7/8 cup of milk
Put all ingredients into a pot (except condensed milk). Boil 5 minutes from boiling point. Take off stovetop and add condensed milk. Put back on heat and boil for 10-15 minutes until it reaches "soft ball" stage (234-240 degrees). Test at 10 minutes. Put aside for 10 minutes, then beat and pour into a greased pan. Allow to set, cut in squares, enjoy!
- SWEET HAPPY CHILDHOOD MEMORIES -

No comments: